Re: System.map irritation

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 08:31:41AM -0500, David B . Harris wrote:

> To quote Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>,
> # well i also used gcc-2.95.2 as that is also what is in potato.
> #
> # i should note one other detail, i build the kernel on straight potato
> # (with potato modutils) and install the package on a different machine
> # that has upgraded modutils.  but i don't see how that could make any
> # difference as modutils are not used during building AFAIK.
>
> There are a number of things the kernel uses modutils and friends for -
> either at build time, or run-time. /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes
> tells us what version we want. I've had a few difficult-to-track bugs
> that were the result of bad versions of some of those utilities.

If it is modutils, please note the following from
Documentation/Changes:

Modutils
--------

Upgrade to recent modutils to fix various outstanding bugs which are
seen more frequently under 2.3.x, and to enable auto-loading of USB
modules.  In addition, the layout of modules under
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/ has been made more sane.  This change also
requires that you upgrade to a recent modutils.

and from the current minimal requirements in the above:

o  modutils               2.3.18                  # insmod -V

Various sorts of module related questions are now frequently asked on
the kernel list.  I don't have a Debian installation at hand to check
the current version, but I would definitely check this.

> With everyone's permission, I'm going to bring this to the kernel guys'
> attention. I've ruled out any "easy" fixes on this end; I think it's a
> kernel problem. A fresh build of 2.2.17 does not cause the error, while
> 2.2.18 does. I've also heard reports that test12 had the error, where
> test11 and prelease didn't.

Saying 2.2.18 makes it sound like a modutils issue.  However, newer
versions of modutils have now been required for several test kernels.

> So, are we agreed that we should bother the kernel guys?

I would suggest ruling out the modutils version issue first.

--
David Benfell
benfell@greybeard95a.com

				[from fortune]