Re: System.map irritation

To quote Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>,
# well i also used gcc-2.95.2 as that is also what is in potato.
#
# i should note one other detail, i build the kernel on straight potato
# (with potato modutils) and install the package on a different machine
# that has upgraded modutils.  but i don't see how that could make any
# difference as modutils are not used during building AFAIK.

There are a number of things the kernel uses modutils and friends for -
either at build time, or run-time. /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes
tells us what version we want. I've had a few difficult-to-track bugs
that were the result of bad versions of some of those utilities.

With everyone's permission, I'm going to bring this to the kernel guys'
attention. I've ruled out any "easy" fixes on this end; I think it's a
kernel problem. A fresh build of 2.2.17 does not cause the error, while
2.2.18 does. I've also heard reports that test12 had the error, where
test11 and prelease didn't.

So, are we agreed that we should bother the kernel guys?

Dave