System.map irritation

Hey there :)

I'm new to the list(but I've actually subscribed ;), and I'm having a
bit of an irritant considering an error I get often:

{module_list} {module_list_R__ver_module_list}
Warning: /usr/src/linux/System.map does not match kernel data.

The error appears when I run things like 'ps', 'top' and friends. Now,
I've never had this error when compiling a custom kernel before, and it
really irritates me :( Before it's suggested, copying System.map to
/boot/<whatever> just doubles the error; one for
/usr/src/linux/System.map, and one for /boot/System.map(or
System.map-2.2.18d, which is my kernel version).

This has never shown up before, and all the searching I've done says to
copy the file to /boot, which of course doesn't do anything :)

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help. I'm an intermediate user(I've
been around computers since before I could write[even block letters],
even though I've only been using Linux for about four-five years) and
don't mind reading, so feel free to get technical :)

Dave