Re: create VCDs?

Resurrecting an old thread and an old complaint.

[much deletion happening]

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:36:29AM +0800, csj wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 December 2001 11:51, Carl Fink wrote:

> > Is there any program to create Video CDs (VCDs) from an AVI file
> > under Debian?

> http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/

So, I got around to looking there.  They even have a deb file!  But it's
dependent on recent libraries not in Potato (or Newton).  So I try to compile
from source.  But it's dependent on automake 1.5, which isn't in Potato.

Yes, I could install individual libraries, or just the newest automake --
except that because (for no reason I know of) everyone compiles their
packages against the very latest version of every library, upgrading one
package typically ends up meaning "upgrade to unstable".  Why have a package
system that one routinely has to defeat in order to use the computer?

Does anyone want to say that Potato should be everyone's default choice?
Meanwhile Woody *still isn't frozen*.  This is ridiculous.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum