create VCDs?

Well, I tried to RTFM.  I checked packages.debian.org.  I checked
freshmeat.net.  I checked sourceforge.net. I searched archives of this list.

Is there any program to create Video CDs (VCDs) from an AVI file under
Debian?  I'm using Potato (technically, I'm using Progeny Newton with lots
of Potato packages) but I'll probably go to Woody when it stops breaking
every three days.   I found vcdtools in Potato, but it doesn't appear to
have any way to turn AVI files into MPEG-1.

Thanks.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum