Re: "C" Manual

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 09:13:10AM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
| Craig Dickson <crdic@yahoo.com> writes:
|
| > I learned C before Schildt started publishing (AFAIK), so I've never
| > read any of his books. He actually used "void main()" in his examples?
| > Ouch. Someone who does that is definitely not in a position to be
| > teaching C.
|
| Actually, that was one of the more benign errors.  It was the stuff
| which just didn't work which bothered me the most.  (Or in his
| commentary on the C standard, where he contradicted the standard on
| the opposite page....)

Heh.

I was in the bookstore today and saw "The Complete Reference: Java2"
by Schildt.  (I also saw a bunch of quality books :-))  I picked up
that java book just to see if I would spot any errors with a quick
glance.  While flipping through I saw

#ifdef _ _cplusplus

in the part on native methods.  (note the extra space).  This occurred
more than once on those couple pages.

More significantly he didn't use Actions (javax.swing.Action) at all,
but instead had a single actionPerformed() method with a big if-else
ladder comparing strings.  Ugh.

-D

--

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to
look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from