Re: "C" Manual

Gary Turner muttered:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:11:33 -0500, Phil Beder wrote:
>
> >Where can I find a good, complete manual for C and C++ programming
> >languages for the gcc compiler.
>
> Phil, I won't pretend to have any idea what I'm talking about.  My
> coding is strictly trivial.  A book I do find helpful is ~Gnu C++ For
> Linux~ by Tom Swan, from Que.
Gary, I'm with you! Kernighan and Ritchie is 'the' C book, but it's
getting mighty long in the tooth. Considering that C++ is already right
there on your system, it doesn't make sense to limit yourself to pure C
without a reason. Stroustrup is 'the' book on C++, but it isn't for the
beginner. These books are worth a close look, but no longer the most
logical starting point.

I'm not familiar with Tom Swan's book but I'll take your word that it's
worth looking at. Oreilly is 'the' source for Linux books, Phil should
also look at their titles on gcc.

Bottom line: use a good C++ book with excercises & examples, preferably
one specific to the Linux environment. Your biggest battle will finding
an IDE set you feel comfortable with. Linux has so many editors &
debuggers that this can be hard. Search the archives of this list for
'debugger' and 'IDE' for much discussion.

HTH, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney       |   Who profited from Sept 11?
paul@mackinney.net   |   http://www.copvcia.com/