Re: Threading Mail

csj wrote:

> > > need > more...
> > >
> > > I suppose you're talking about programs that require user
> > > interaction (foreground processes). Aside from the hassle of
> > > manually opening 10 different tabs, can you cite an instance where
> > > having ten instant shell sessions is actually useful?
> >
> >   he says 10 desktops, not tabs.
>
> That's the detail I decided to pass over. 10 desktops seems indecent. I
> can't see what applications you would run in 10 desktops that can't be
> done in 2 desktops and 10 (powershell/konsole) tabs. Personally I want
> the CLI stuff to go with other CLI stuff and the X stuff with other
> X stuff.

  of course, it COULD be also done in one desktop.

  some people don't like tabs that much, e.g. me (for xterm -like
programs, for some other programs they make perfect sense). I use about
3 - 4 desktops on my home machine and about 4 - 7 on my work machine (on
average). Usually I keep related apps on one desktop, so that I can see
relevant things at one time. When you use tabs you cannot see any two
(or more) of those at one time. the other problem is that when you use
tabs you cannot use window manger level menus and keyboard shortcuts to
switch between them (i.e. if you have ten xterms you can switch between
any of them using WM's methods, but if you have two xterms with 5 tabs
each you cannot switch between any shell prompt using WM, you have two
methods to switch between shell prompts that you have to combine).

  I don't really make much fuss about whether it's GUI or CLI program, I
keep together programs that are related based on task that I use them to
acomplish (e.g. I might have version control system GUI, few gvim
windows and few xterms that I want to keep together because they are all
related to one task... I don't see a reason to group unrelated xterms
together... but that's just me with my particular task that I use
computer for. you might use different methods to acomplish similar or
entirely different tasks...

  what I'm trying to say is that his 'desktops' and your 'tabs' are not
technical details but suggest quite different way of working with
system... you don't see much value in his (or mine) destops just like he
doesn't see much value in the tabs... (not to say that one way of
working with system is better then another, it probably depends on
personal preference and the kind of tasks you tend to use computer for).

	erik