Re: Threading Mail

also sprach csj <csj@mindgate.net> [2001.12.29.2003 +0100]:
> That's the detail I decided to pass over. 10 desktops seems indecent. I
> can't see what applications you would run in 10 desktops that can't be
> done in 2 desktops and 10 (powershell/konsole) tabs. Personally I want
> the CLI stuff to go with other CLI stuff and the X stuff with other
> X stuff.

i don't even see a point why we're arguing this, but here comes my
explanation...

i administer about 17 servers worldwide these days. all from my laptop.
granted, 12 of them don't really need much work, but the other five, i
work with on pretty much a daily/hourly basis... and if it's just using
them.

so i love having my windowmaker boot up, give me

- 2*80x25 + 1*80x50 on desktop 1 with local shells
- two 80x50 copies of mutt (one at =inbox, one at =sent) on desktop 2
- two 80x50 w3m-ssl to my groupware account on desktop 3
- four 80x25 terms sporting slrn, w3m/slashdot, w3m/kuro5hin, and a
  regular shell on desktop 4
- copies of the first desktop on desktops 5-9, each ssh logging into
  the 5 servers at stake (rsa authentication, thank god).
- finally, desktop 10 presents me with opera.

the advantages? aside from relatively long windowmaker start times,
which allow for coffee to be fetched,--- well, i need to type very
little for the everyday tasks, i know precisely where to find what, i
never get lost in windows, and i'd argue that i am fast!

if you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect
wood, and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to
long for the endless immensity of the sea.
                                           -- antoine de saint exupery