Re: printcap(5) and other poorly formatted manpages (was Re: man v. info)

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:48:55PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 02:29:19PM -0600, Colin Watson
> (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> > Ugh, yes, that's horrible formatting. '.nf' means "no-fill mode", but it
> > has the effect you're thinking of. Make sure you add this line to the
> > top of the file to let man know that it should be using tbl:
> >
> >   '\" t
> >
> > .nf definitely shouldn't be used for lazy attempts at tables like that.
>
> OK.
>
> I've got to rewrite the page (again) using tbl.  I did something
> somewhat different, within groff, which works, sorta, but could be
> better.
>
> Anyone got a q'n'd tbl ref?  There's a short section in the back of
> K&R (or is it K&P?).  How does one embed tbl within a manpage?

I'm not sure if the tbl manual linked off this troff resources page
helps; I'm at a Windows machine at my parents' at the moment and can't
be bothered figuring out how to view PostScript.

  http://www.kohala.com/start/troff/troff.html

To embed tbl in a man page, use .TS and .TE. See tbl(1), or the source
for man pages that use tbl such as man(1) and kill(1).

Cheers,