Re: man v. info

on Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 12:51:09PM -0600, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 05:24:26PM +0100, Imre Vida wrote:
> > The lack of manpages, and outdated manpages are frustrating.
> > And what Karsten brought up is also a nice idea:
> > to have examples in man pages. There are some manpages with examples
> > but most of them are without although they are really helpful.
> >
> > It would be nice to know how other people think about this
> > and if there is sufficient interest to also talk about what
> > should/could be done to change this.
>
> Come up with examples and send patches. That'll achieve results much
> faster than anything else I can think of.

Specific instructions on how to do this?

I significantly reformatted the printcap(5) man page at one point and sent
the result to the package maintainer, with no results or response.

If you'll look at printcap manpage, you'll find that large portions of
it are essentially "pre" formatted text (or the groff equivalent), and
structured for a terminal window rather wider than 80 characters.

Might be useful to go through the manpages and look for similar
issues....

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org