printcap(5) and other poorly formatted manpages (was Re: man v. info)

on Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 03:38:20PM +0000, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 03:02:25PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 12:51:09PM -0600, Colin Watson
> > (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> > > Come up with examples and send patches. That'll achieve results much
> > > faster than anything else I can think of.
> >
> > Specific instructions on how to do this?
> >
> > I significantly reformatted the printcap(5) man page at one point and
> > sent the result to the package maintainer, with no results or
> > response.
>
> This is, unfortunately, just a specific case of the general problem that
> a lot of non-urgent problems don't get dealt with promptly, especially
> if the maintainer isn't very active.
>
> Do use the bug tracking system. In the case of printcap(5), a bug
> should be filed against the three packages that contain it (lpr,
> lprng, lpr-ppd), and I can't find anything from you against any of
> those packages, although I was reading quickly so I could have missed
> it.

I checked myself last night, and don't see anything.  My concern was
whether or not I should post my revised manpage to the bugtracking
system itself.

> If you don't use the bug tracking system, then if a new maintainer
> takes over the package he/she typically won't see the mail you sent,
> and your work will have been wasted. Even active maintainers are more
> likely to respond to things filed in the BTS, as it provides an
> automatic to-do list.
>
> (If you send me a bug by private mail that I can't deal with Right
> Now, chances are I'll file it in the BTS myself, but I might not
> always remember before my inbox floods onto another screen.)
>
> > If you'll look at printcap manpage, you'll find that large portions
> > of it are essentially "pre" formatted text (or the groff
> > equivalent), and structured for a terminal window rather wider than
> > 80 characters.
>
> Probably depends on which package you're looking at. The version in
> lpr uses mdoc's .Bl request to construct a list, and looks OK.

lprng.  I don't use groff or the man macros enough to know what the tag
is, I suspect it's ".nf", for 'no format'.  More likely the tbl macros
should be used.

> > Might be useful to go through the manpages and look for similar
> > issues....
>
> It should be possible to do this automatically.
>
>   for x in `find /usr/share/man -type f`; do
>     man -l $x | grep -q '.{81,}' && echo $x
>   done
>
> ... or something morally equivalent.

Cool, thanks.