Re: printcap(5) and other poorly formatted manpages (was Re: man v. info)

on Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 02:29:19PM -0600, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 10:59:58AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 03:38:20PM +0000, Colin Watson
> > (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> > > Do use the bug tracking system. In the case of printcap(5), a bug
> > > should be filed against the three packages that contain it (lpr,
> > > lprng, lpr-ppd), and I can't find anything from you against any of
> > > those packages, although I was reading quickly so I could have missed
> > > it.
> >
> > I checked myself last night, and don't see anything.  My concern was
> > whether or not I should post my revised manpage to the bugtracking
> > system itself.
>
> Absolutely!

OK.

> > > Probably depends on which package you're looking at. The version in
> > > lpr uses mdoc's .Bl request to construct a list, and looks OK.
> >
> > lprng.  I don't use groff or the man macros enough to know what the tag
> > is, I suspect it's ".nf", for 'no format'.  More likely the tbl macros
> > should be used.
>
> Ugh, yes, that's horrible formatting. '.nf' means "no-fill mode", but it
> has the effect you're thinking of. Make sure you add this line to the
> top of the file to let man know that it should be using tbl:
>
>   '\" t
>
> .nf definitely shouldn't be used for lazy attempts at tables like that.

OK.

I've got to rewrite the page (again) using tbl.  I did something
somewhat different, within groff, which works, sorta, but could be
better.

Anyone got a q'n'd tbl ref?  There's a short section in the back of
K&R (or is it K&P?).  How does one embed tbl within a manpage?

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org