Re: Email client programs

Erik Steffl wrote:

>   mail retrieval is indeed separate issue (and it can be both job of
> fetchamil (active retrieval) and MTA (accepting delivery))
>
>   then there's mail storage - IMO the task for IMAP server
>
>   only then the MUA comes in - in between user and IMAP, the actual
> email manipulation is doen by IMAP, MUA is only proxy between user and
> IMAP.

Ah, so that's what you meant. Yes, true. I haven't used IMAP very much;
I had a local server running for a while as a means of porting old
Outlook Express archives to Linux, and my current employer's site is
IMAP-only, but other than that most places I've had email accounts have
been POP3-only.

If good IMAP support was common in mail clients, I'd probably be more
inclined to explore it, but in my experience many clients either don't
support IMAP, or the support is limited and/or buggy.

>   BTW the other annoying thing is that it requires password to IMAP
> everytime I start it - is there a way to have passwordless access to
> IMAP from mutt?

There must be, I'm sure, but since fetchmail takes care of that for me,
I haven't needed to find out.

Craig