Re: man v. info

on Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 04:31:12PM +0100, Michael Mauch (michael.mauch@gmx.de) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > on Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 06:32:31PM -0800, Craig Dickson (crdic@yahoo.com) wrote:

> > > For locally-stored docs that's arguable. The advantage of small
> > > files comes when you have to read it across a network, especially
> > > a WAN.
> >
> > I'd disagree.  Info nodes can be _quit_ small -- a screen or less of
> > data.  Load latency kills you more than the actual data transfer
> > interval.  I'd rather have, say, 1/10 the interrupts, of roughly 2-4
> > times the duration, than to be interrupted with great frequency.
>
> Yes, but that's of course not a problem of the format; there are as
> well HTML pages with only 5 lines.

...but that's the entire man page.  Not the case with the default info
presentation.

> > This can be further mitigated by browsers that render on partial
> > load, or which allow background loading of pages (Galeon rocks for
> > this).
>
> Sorry, I disagree. Try
>
>   info --output=gcc.txt --subnodes gcc
>
> to put the whole gcc.info* files into one text file, then load it with
> Galeon. Although the file has only 30000 lines and it's text only,

I have 2929 lines, and a 2 second load time.  What packages do you have
installed?

The likely suspects appear to be:

    gcc-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++).
    gcc-3.0-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++).
    gcc-docs - Fake package used for a smooth upgrade.
    gcc-2.95-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++).
    gcc272-docs - Documentation for the gcc compiler (gcc272).

> Or look at the PHP docs (e.g. from
> <http://www.php3.de/download-docs.php>). They have several formats (no
> info); one of them being a single HTML file (4.7 MB). Even when loaded
> from the local harddisk, this takes ages to load in Galeon.

> Same for the gawk.html, mysql.html and similar large files.

I don't have the PHP document handy.  My experience is that mawk.html
loads in 13 seconds on first access, and in about 1.5 seconds on reload,
accessed under dwww, as:

    http://ego/cgi-bin/dwww?type=man&location=/usr/share/man/man1/gawk.1.gz
    http://ego/cgi-bin/dwww?type=man&location=/usr/share/man/man1/mawk.1.gz

What version of Galeon and/or hardware?  This is on a PIII-600 laptop,
128 MiB, IDE harddrive.

> You might argue that I should use w3m

w3m's loading is likely to be as slow or slower -- it doesn't display a
page until it's fully loaded, unlike.

> or links

...which _does_ render a page _while_ it's loading.

> to read those large HTML files

...but in any case, both render the files in < 1 second.  I suspect
caching is going on here.  Trying another large page -- bash -- it loads
in about 2 seconds.  This is comperable to wait times for a freshly
rendered manpage via groff.

> - but then I would have to remember the keystrokes of these programs
> (i.e. I can't use my favourite browser)

Incidental not:  I'd recommend you learn _one_ text mode browser.  For
times when you've got console-only access (no X11, or remote session, or
other reasons), they're a godsend.  Not that you have to give up your
graphical browser (yes, Galeon rocks).

> and I have to install/build these programs on other machines ((X)Emacs
> is everywhere).
>
> > > When I want to search a directory of HTML files, I tend to grep it
> > > first, then view the files that seem to be apropos.
> >
> > One better:
> >
> >     $ less $( grep -l 'pattern' filelist )
>
> And then you read the plain HTML source? Not very cool, frankly.

<pedantic>
    $ for file in $( list ); do w3m $file; done
</pedantic>

Try dwww.

> The german HTML tutorial SelfHTML 8.0 comes with a built-in JavaScript
> search engine (<http://selfhtml.teamone.de/>, but it seems to be down
> at the moment). It is very fast and works well. It looks like it's
> only available for SelfHTML at the moment, though.

I don't care for Javascript.  It doesn't work in my text browsers, among
other issues, and generally fucks up my browsing in general use.  The
latest Moz build allows site-specific Java/Javascript enabling /
disabling.  I'm waiting for this to hit Galeon.

> I think a decent search facility is a must for more in-depth
> documentation. If I _know_ that I want to use newwin(3), I can easily
> type "man newwin". But if I just want to get started with curses, I am
> really lost after "man -k curses". A hierarchical "book" (be it in
> HTML or in info format) with a "Getting started" topic is a lot more
> user-friendly in such cases.

Most man pages have a "SEE ALSO" section.  Accessing these through dwww
links to the related manpages, access via 'man' is left as an exercise
to the reader.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org