Re: floppy mounted on diferent uid

J> Hi! Its been a while I'm having a small problem. Every time I mount
J> a floppy using my usual username account, the floopy directory uid
J> is set to a diferent uid. In this case, my sister's uid. The
J> problem is that I cant mout/unmount, but cant write to the floppy.
J> When I format it with ext2, using mkfs, the problem seems to go
J> away, but latter returns. I have seen this problem somewhere else,
J> also using debian, but I wasnt told how to fix it.

Check /etc/fstab . On the line for /floppy, you will probably see the
option `user'. Change that to `users' and you will be able to unmount
a floppy regardless of who mounted it.

As for the file permissions:
A FAT (DOS-formatted) floppy has no user IDs stored on it, so Linux
assigns the value of the user who mounted it.

With an ext2 (or minix) floppy, the files do have owners, and Linux
will respect the permissions the same way it does on your hard disk.

You can change the permissions of the floppy root directory when it is
mounted (chmod a+rw /floppy). If the floppy is not mounted, this will
change the permissions of the mount point itself, and that is not what
you want.

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iname.com> - Work: <guy.geens@cgey.be>