Re: scanner recommendations?

pirmin <pirmin2@gmx.net> writes:

>> On 18 Dec 2001, Vineet Kumar wrote:
>
>> I recently bought an Epson Perfection 1650 which is working perfectly
>
> I am impressed by an Epson 1640 Perfections's speed at work in a Win2k
> environment, connectted to the USB port. In the vendors' lists they
> now have the 1650s.
>
> Is the 1650 also very fast? I did not take a stopwatch onsite but the
> my decision threshold in favor of scanning some document has lowered
> considerably in contrast to my attitude towards using a not too slow
> Umax Astra 1220 SCSI at home. The Epson hardly gives me the impression
> I am waiting for the scan to be completed.

I just took out the stop watch for two sample scans of four 35mm
negatives using the tpu on my 1650photo:

1.
3200dpi, totalling a whopping 171.6MB took 682 seconds (ca. 260kB/s)

2.
300dpi, totalling 1.5MB took 73 seconds (ca. 21kB/s)

Both times were measured by hand from pressing start in xsane until
the carrier in the scanner returns (so, no conversion time included).

Hope it helps.

--
Tschoe,                http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt - Fingerprint:
 Jens                  1AAB 67A2 1068 77CA 6B0A  41A4 18D4 A89B 28D0 F097