Re: Dual Boot Problems

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 03:31:46PM -0500, Alec wrote:
| On Sunday 09 December 2001 03:12 pm, dman wrote:
| > On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 03:03:31PM -0500, Alec wrote:
| > | Could it be that the Windows boot loader gets confused somehow?
| >
| > Yes, very.  Windows will only boot if it is on the master disk of the
| > primary controller.  I recommend making a linux boot floppy,
| > reordering your disks so that windows is first and linux is second,
| > booting to linux and updating your boot loader config.
|
| Dman, my actual setup is
|
| IDE A: CDRW (Master), Windows HD (Slave)
| IDE B: Linux HD (Master)
|
| Physically, the way cables are in my computer, CDRW and Windows HD have to be
| on one IDE, Linux HD on another. Would you suggest simply changing the
| jumpers on the devices, so it will look like this:
|
| IDE A: Windows HD (Master), CDRW (Slave)
| IDE B: Linux HD (Slave)

I don't think this will work (having only slave on a bus), but you can
try it if you want.

| or
|
| IDE A: Windows HD (Master), CDRW (Slave)
| IDE B: Linux HD (Master)

Yes, this would be the easiest change.

| BTW, as far as speed is concerned CDRW is the slowest and Linux HD
| is the fastest (probably twice faster than the Windows HD)

If you want better performance, put the disks on their own bus.  That
way they don't have to share.  If you only use the linux disk _or_ the
windows disk at any given time, then they could probably share a bus
since there will be no simultaneous access.  Alternatively, if you
like having the cover off, you can unplug the drive not being used
during this boot.  All in all, if you aren't seeing problems with your
burner, it is more effort and trouble (no hot-plugging mind you) than
it is worth.

-D

--

A perverse man stirs up dissension,