Re: Dual Boot Problems

On Sunday 09 December 2001 03:12 pm, dman wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 03:03:31PM -0500, Alec wrote:
> | I have 2 HDs, and I just had Win98 installed on the slave HD.

> | But when I try to boot into Windows, it says "Loading Windows" and gets
> | stuck. The only way I can boot into Windows is by again physically
> | disconnecting the master HD. What is going on?

> | Could it be that the Windows boot loader gets confused somehow?
>
> Yes, very.  Windows will only boot if it is on the master disk of the
> primary controller.  I recommend making a linux boot floppy,
> reordering your disks so that windows is first and linux is second,
> booting to linux and updating your boot loader config.
>
> -D

Dman, my actual setup is

IDE A: CDRW (Master), Windows HD (Slave)
IDE B: Linux HD (Master)

Physically, the way cables are in my computer, CDRW and Windows HD have to be
on one IDE, Linux HD on another. Would you suggest simply changing the
jumpers on the devices, so it will look like this:

IDE A: Windows HD (Master), CDRW (Slave)
IDE B: Linux HD (Slave)

or

IDE A: Windows HD (Master), CDRW (Slave)
IDE B: Linux HD (Master)

?

BTW, as far as speed is concerned CDRW is the slowest and Linux HD is the
fastest (probably twice faster than the Windows HD)

Thanks

Alec