Re: how to disable gnome panel

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 06:02:59PM +0800, Yu wrote:
> I want to use window maker as my window manager and I also install gnome
> on my woody box
> but it's to crowded with window maker dock and gnome panel together .
> So I want to disable my gnome panel.
> but I read the help document ,it says I must have one panel on my
> desktop
> Is apt-remove the only to get rid of gnome panel?
> Is there any other way to disable gnome panel not to uninstall it?
> Thanks

Are you using a display manager, like gdm or xdm? (that is, do you have a
graphical login?) Or do you start X from the console with startx? If the
latter, just edit .xsession in your home directory so it contains

	wmaker

and whatever other programs you'd like to run at startup -- ie,

	wmaker
	nautilus &

If you're using GDM or something similar you'll need app-specific
instructions. So, let the list know where you're at :).

That said, there's not much point in having the Gnome panel installed if
you're not planning on using it :).

--

Andrew Sione Taumoefolau
bepempire@optusnet.com.au