Re: procmail recipe not working

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 05:28:02PM -0700, Gary Hennigan wrote:
| dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:
| > I've been thinking of making a similar thing, just so I can list each
| > spammer on one line instead of 4.
|
| You do know that you can use a logical "OR" in your rules right? The
| "|" symbol.

Actually, it is an "alternation" in regex terminology, not "logical
or".  Same principle though (and I tend to say "or" in my head when I
write it).

| For example,
|
| :0
| * ^From:.*junker.home|^To:.*junk@figure.home|^Cc:.*crud@somewhere.borg
| /dev/null
|
| Would cover three addresses that would go to /dev/null.
|
| Perhaps you're doing something automated that makes this difficult?

No, I just didn't want to have one
several-thousand-character-long-line in my file (well, my list isn't
that long yet, but it will likely grow).

As a side effect, alternation tends to sap quite a bit more CPU
resources for an NFA engine and more memory for a DFA enging (see the
O'Reilly book for a somewhat-detailed-yet-still-simplfied
explanation).

-D

--

(E)very (M)inor (A)ttention (C)osts (S)anity