Re: Help for the UDMAmentally challenged ...

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 11:35, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Steffen Evers wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 13:42, Hank Marquardt wrote:
> > > I used hdparm -d1 to turn it on for the drives and that boosts to 41Mbs on the
> > > drives, but the pdc still shows the following:
> >
> > There are several things that need to be
> > set to use UDMA in order to make it work:
> >
> > 1. PCI Bus
> > 2. Controller
> > 3. Drives
> >
> > Make sure you have these two settings in your kernel set:
> > CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> > CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
> >
> > There are extra dma settings for this controller as well, I think ...
> >
> > Compiling the kernel was the best solution for me.

> In what file should the CONFIG_IDEDMA* settings be put, please ?

You need to set them in your .config file before compiling it.

Another procedure to turn UDMA on is to add

#custom part
# set drive hda to use UDMA
[ -x /sbin/hdparm ] && /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda

# set drive hdc to use UDMA
[ -x /sbin/hdparm ] && /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

#end custom part

in your '/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh' file - requires package hdparm.

I have set up one machine with the modified bootmisc.sh using a regular
Debian kernel image and one with a custom kernel with the above settings
in .config. Both works great!

Bye, Steffen