Re: Help for the UDMAmentally challenged ...

All that's there ... about the only wrinkle I have that perhaps I should
have done differently at the very start is I left both disks on 'cable select'
rather than explicitly choosing a master/slave.

Anyway while I'd love for it to 'just work' I've added a udma100_setup.sh script
to my init.d that runs the hdparm commads to start the drives -- to my mind,
still a kludge, but hey it works.