Re: multithreading sounds

On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 02:38, Stephen Gran wrote:
> Thus spake Martin Kacerovsky:
> > > Try killing the root esd process and letting it auto spawn (and die) for
> > > your user accounts.
> > That means that I don't run anything and it should work?
> > i've tried it and it didn't work, (mp3blaster don't start any daemon )
> > i haven't found any manpage to esd.conf, can you tell me which lines
> > be there and which shouldn't
> > my esd.conf:
> >
> > [esd]
> > auto_spawn=1
> > spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 2
> > spawn_wait_ms=100
> Mike -
> esd is usually run as a daemon that allows other programs to acces the
> sound hardware, like gnome or xmms.  try running two programs that use
> esd at the same time and see what happens.  If you don't use X, I
> don't think esd will do you a whole lot of good in this respect,
> though.
> Steve
> --

I've had good success with both mpg123-esd and festival (when it worked
with esd ... haven't checked lately) being run from different consoles
as the same user and outputting sounds at the same time.  In X I also
use xmms and xmame which are both esd aware with no problems.  As long
as the program is esd aware it's worked for me.  You can also hack it by
sending your sound programs output to standard out and reroute that into
esdplay so it becomes "esd compatible."

--mike