Re: Digital photo archive

Osamu Aoki [debian@aokiconsulting.com] wrote:
> What is the best archiving approach for bundle of digital photos.
>
> Requirements:
> 1) Use Debian with CD-RW
> 2) Files (main photos) are in jpeg file as obtained from camera.
> 3) There should be thumb nail images which fit in normal web browser.
> 4) Reading should be through web browser (i.e., any platform).
> 5) Organization shall require minimum efforts:
>     Just simple subdirectory structures.
> 6) Commenting on photo/folder should be accommodated with minimal care.
>     If not given, date range or subdirectory name is used as text message.
>
> My idea is simple script to create web page. Use "du -s" to check
> archive size,...  (imagemagic + perl script + make should do this.)
> I do not like this to be complicated.
>
> Did anyone do this?  Any pointer is appreciated.

The system I like best is SWIGS (http://swigs.sourceforge.net/).  The
gallery it produces uses no CGI so it's great for burning onto a CD.
Plus, disk space is so cheap, I don't see the usefulness generating
the different image-sizes on the fly.  But, you have a lot of choice;
there are probably over 25 programs that create Web galleries.

(Currently, it doesn't support reading the EXIF data out of
digital-camera produced files, but I have a patch that I'm going to
try to send the author soon.)

Michael