multithreading sounds

Hello.

When I was still using RedHat Linux, I remember that it was possible
to multithread the sounds (playing multiple sound files is possible,
as threads are instantiated to use the sound device).

As I upgraded my machine and motherboard and switched to Debian, I
can't anymore multithread the sound. Playing one sound file locks
the sound card device solely for the requesting process.

Question: how do I fix this, to enable multiple processes requesting
the sound device to multi-thread? Or is it outside Linux already?
I'm really interested to find out since I'll be using my machine
for a multi-media demo, specifically playing Xinerama, Xtheater
and XMMS concurrently, without any of these applications to be
treated as a heavy-weight process, effectively locking the sound
device to any of them.

I suspect also that if it is not the OS, then it might be the BIOS
that is the culprit. Does IRQ sharing have anything to do with this?
I noticed also that my same setup doesn't play the sounds in
Windows (it mentions that the sound card is in use though there is
no user process requesting it).

Any enlightenment would be appreciated (as well as will give me
enough time to re-hack BIOS or send my box to the repair shop before
the demo on Tuesday). Thanks!

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com