Re: /bin/sh broken - now what?

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 07:58:34AM -0500, adcarlson@mailandnews.com wrote:

| I had a problem when I upgraded to the 2.4.12 kernel and the update asked
| whether I wanted to go with the default POSIX standard ash instead of bash.  I
| answered yes, and then my automated dialup scripts wouldn't work for the next
| day until I relinked to bash (my scripts were bash specific I guess).

I think a better solution to this is to either use #!/bin/bash for
bash-specific scripts (instead of #!/bin/sh), or remove bash-isms and
use POSIX-only scripting.

The nice thing about having /bin/sh linked to ash is ash is quite a
bit smaller than bash, and will thus give better performance for small
scripts (lower startup and memory overhead).

-D