Re: help please

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 04:07:05PM -0000, Clive Leonard wrote:
> I have now installed Debian, and it boots up from HHD and leaves me in
> a text only mode. All I can seem to do is log in and out as root (or
> user) and do nothing else!
>
> I don't know, but surely debian has some form of GUI?

Of course - just 'apt-get install task-x-window-system', which among
other things will install a display manager so you won't boot into
text-only mode. There are many, many GUI-related packages available, but
see the installation manual for how to use the packaging system to
acquire them. You might like, for example, to install
task-gnome-desktop, which will install the basic desktop from the GNOME
project.

(Further followups should probably go to debian-user only;

Regards,