RE: /bin/sh broken - now what?

Try to find out if your /bin/sh is symbolically linked to bash, ash, korn, or
whatever other shell.  /bin/sh should be just a symbolic link...if it isn't
linked, link it to something like bash.

I had a problem when I upgraded to the 2.4.12 kernel and the update asked
whether I wanted to go with the default POSIX standard ash instead of bash.  I
answered yes, and then my automated dialup scripts wouldn't work for the next
day until I relinked to bash (my scripts were bash specific I guess).

On 25-Nov-2001 A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:
> I tried to install the G77 compiler, and got the latest stuff from
> testing.  It required a newer version of libc6 (2.2.4-5), which got
> installed first.  Then all subsequent packages failed.  I cannot open a
> shell anymore:
>
> /bin/sh: relocation error: /bin/sh: undefined symbol: history_max_entries
>
> Existing shells still work, but this situation paralyzes just about
> anything, including apt.  What can I do?
>
> --
>#>!$!%(@^%#%*(&(#@#*$^@^$##*#@&(%)@**$!(&!^(#((#&%!)%*@)(&$($$%(@#)&*!^$)^@*^@)
>
>       Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
>               NL-1062 KD nr 149       tel.    +31-204080204
>                       Amsterdam       e-mail  tpeters@xs4all.nl
>

> --

---------------------------------------
Arlen Carlson <arlencarlson@yahoo.com>

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
possess.
                -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]

This message was sent by XFmail (Linux)

                        -o)
                        /\\
                       _\_v