sound w/via chipset

I recently replaced my motherboard with a BioStar M7VKL, which uses a VIA
VT8364 chipset, also known as "Apollo KL133".

After a bit of fiddling, I have everything working except the video and the
sound.  (I think.)

The video must wait on the freeze of Woody, since I'm using XFree86 4.01
(from Progeny) and 4.1 is the first 4.x release to support the S3 Savage4
video chipset.  No big deal, I just installed my old PCI video card, which
works acceptably.

The sound is irritating.  The chipset is apparently supported by 2.4x
kernels as "via82cxxx_audio" plus "AC97_codec".  However, the driver as of
2.4.2 doesn't in fact work completely.  I can play MPEG video fine with (the
commercial) MTV (www.mpegtv.com), and the sound is just fine.  I can't play
MPEG with gtv, for instance.  Trying to play AVI files with mplayer gives
this error message:

	audio_setup: using 0 Hz samplerate (requested: 22050)

and also silence.  Some videos, instead of sound, produce repeated clicks,
or absurdly fast squealing that seems to be the correct sound, accelerated.

Playing sound with Flash or xanim produces clicking, but no trace of the
real sound.  RealPlayer as a standalone is silent.  RealPlayer embeds in
Netscape cause a "Floating Point Error" and immediate closure of Netscape.
The same embeds in Mozilla produce a single click *and RealPlayer skips the
video as well as the audio*.

Trying to use play on a WAV file gives *this* error:

	sox: Unable to set audio speed to 44100 (set to 0)
	sox: Sampling rate for /dev/dsp file was not given

So -- can anyone suggest a way to make VIA sound work, or should I just give
up, disable it, and buy a sound card?
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum