Re: eth0 <-> eth1

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:44:19 -0500
dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 08:13:53AM +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
> | According to dman on Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:14:49PM -0500:
> | >
> | > You can specify the address for each card on the kernel command
line,
> | only if you compile the drivers into the kernel
>
> I wasn't aware of that.  In that case, it is probable that the address
> can be specified in /etc/modules or something in /etc/modutils.
>
> | > or just switch the cables on the back of your box.
> | the cable company locks in on the MAC address :(

No, no, no, is really incorrect.  Ethernet driver arguments (including
which card is eth0 and eth1) can be given when modules are loaded or at
boot time see the Ethernet HOWTO sections 9.1 and 9.2 to see how.

Also, I can't for the life of me see why a cable company would lock on to
a MAC address.  Roadrunner doesn't do this, and it would be really
incompetent for a cable company to authenticate on the ethernet card's
MAC, as MACs are easily changed and I don't think that anything but the
cable modem actually knows your ethernet card's MAC.  They probably do
authenticate based on the cable modem's MAC, but you probably couldn't
change that even if you wanted to.