Re: eth0 <-> eth1

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 08:13:53AM +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
| According to dman on Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:14:49PM -0500:
| > On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 07:10:19PM +0100, Eric Smith wrote:
| > | Its been quite a saga - I have lost my (limited) hacking instinct.
| > | Having failed to get ipmasq to work on 2.2.19 (possibly something to
| > | do with eth0 eth1 being reversed i.e. eth0 on LAN side), I am now on
| > | the 2.4.14 precompiled and hoping for better things.
| >
| > You can specify the address for each card on the kernel command line,
| only if you compile the drivers into the kernel

I wasn't aware of that.  In that case, it is probable that the address
can be specified in /etc/modules or something in /etc/modutils.

| > or just switch the cables on the back of your box.
| the cable company locks in on the MAC address :(

Have you tried turing off the cable modem for a few minutes, then
switching the cards?  A friend of mine has Road Runner, and he found
out from tech support that the cable modem is what latches onto the
first MAC it sees.  If he shuts off the modem for a minute (to
discharge any capacitors and clear the memory) then when it powers
back on it will latch on to the new NIC.

HTH,
-D