Re: Ext3fs and fsck

On 20 Nov 2001, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Paolo Falcone <fallenlordx@edsamail.com.ph> writes:
>
> >>blaubaer:~# e2fsck /dev/hdb1
> >>e2fsck 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
> >>/dev/hdb1 is mounted.
> >>WARNING!!!  Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
> >>SEVERE filesystem damage.
> >
> > This is default behavior. But you need to delete the journal
> > file first, else you wreck your ext3fs partition, before committing
> > to fsck.
>
> No, e2fsck works fine on ext3 partitions.  It just doesn't want to
> work on mounted partitions.  Remount root as read-only (mount / -o
> ro,remount) and try it again.
>
> > The second one is to tweak your ext3fs partition. issue:
> >
> >     tune2fs -c0 -i0 /dev/hdb1
>
> Bad idea.  From the tune2fs man page
>
>               You  should  strongly  consider the consequences of
>               disabling mount-count-dependent checking  entirely.
>               Bad  disk  drives,  cables, memory, and kernel bugs
>               could all corrupt a filesystem without marking  the
>               filesystem  dirty  or  in  error.  If you are using
>               journaling on your filesystem, your filesystem will
>               never  be  marked dirty, so it will not normally be
>               checked.  A filesystem error detected by the kernel
>               will still force an fsck on the next reboot, but it
>               may already be too late to  prevent  data  loss  at
>               that point.
>
> and
>
>               It is strongly recommended that either  -c  (mount-
>               count-dependent) or -i (time-dependent) checking be
>               enabled to force periodic full  e2fsck(8)  checking
>               of  the  filesystem.   Failure to do so may lead to
>               filesystem corruption due  to  bad  disks,  cables,
>               memory,  or  kernel bugs to go unnoticed until they
>               cause data loss or corruption.
>
> > You won't really need fsck unless you screw up big time (playing
> > around as root most of the time does that...).
>
> Untrue.
>
> --

It's precisely the above warnings that make me rather nervous of using
ext3 (though I have it on all my filesystems at the moment, mainly to
cope with the frequent lockups I am experiencing, for unknown reasons).
The available documentation on ext3 doesn't seem to make things very
clear, at least to me.

If I leave /etc/fstab as it is, will all the file systems continue to be
checked as normal when I reboot? Or should I issue tune2fs commands
(with appropriate time or mount switches) and change /etc/fstab in some
way? If so, how?

What is the purpose of the /forcefsck file that is suggested, and what
commands is it supposed to contain?

My current /etc/fstab:

#
#
/dev/hdb1	/            auto       defaults,errors=remount-ro	0        1
/dev/hdb5       /usr         auto       defaults                        0        2
/dev/hdb6       /var         auto       defaults                        0        2
/dev/hdb7       /usr/local   auto       defaults                        0        2
/dev/hdb8       /home        auto       defaults                        0        2
/dev/hda1       /msdos       msdos      rw,noauto,user                  0        0
/dev/hda3       /backup      auto       rw,noauto,user                  0        2
/dev/hda5	none	     swap	sw       			0	 0
#
proc		/proc	     proc	defaults			0        0
/dev/fd0	/floppy	     auto	defaults,user,noauto		0	 0
/dev/cdrom	/cdrom	     iso9660	defaults,ro,user,noauto		0	 0
#

Any illumination gratefully received.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]