Re: Ext3fs and fsck

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg?= Johannes wrote:

>I have ext3fs on all partitions (except /boot, which is usualy >mounted ro).
>When the maximum mount count is reached, ext3 tells me "EXT3-fs >warning:

I guess your /etc/fstab looks somehow like this

    /    /dev/hdb1    ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro    0    1

or ext3. Your config is set to force run fsck when the maximum
mount count has been reached (the last value 1)

>maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended"
>What is the easiest way to run e2fsck automatically on bootup, when >the maximum mount count has been reached?

This is precisely what we typically avoid when using ext3.
Anyway, you have a number of options. The first one is what you're
doing right now (make a force fsck script).

>According to the Ext3-usage howto, I created a file /forcefsck , but >the result was, that only the / parition was checked, Ext3 still >warns me about the other filesystems. Running e2fsck manually is not >that easy:
>
>blaubaer:~# e2fsck /dev/hdb1
>e2fsck 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
>/dev/hdb1 is mounted.
>WARNING!!!  Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
>SEVERE filesystem damage.

This is default behavior. But you need to delete the journal
file first, else you wreck your ext3fs partition, before committing
to fsck.

Now back to my recommended solutions:

The second one is to tweak your ext3fs partition. issue:

    tune2fs -c0 -i0 /dev/hdb1

The third one (actually it follows the second solution) is to
modify /etc/fstab

    /    /dev/hdb1    ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro    0    0

The last value indicates if the system will force inode counting
when the maximum mount count has been reached.

You won't really need fsck unless you screw up big time (playing
around as root most of the time does that...). That's the beauty
of journalling filesystems - when everything goes wrong, just
replay the journal!

Paolo Alexis Falcone

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.

www.edsamail.com