Re: Own DNS server inside an existing network

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:04:03AM +0100, Alexander Steinert wrote:
> I am the owner of mydomain.tld which is currently hosted by an ISP.
> Would it be possible to set up a nameserver at a.b.c.d that will be
> authoritative for mydomain.tld given that the ISP allows a custom
> nameserver?

Sure.  You just have to tell the domain's registrar to change the
domain's primary nameserver.  If you did the registration through
your ISP, you'll probably have to have them contact the registrar for
you.  (You should also get it out of their control if you can; the
only reason for having your ISP register the domain for you is if you
need them to host it for you and they require that you go through
them.  Registration and maintenance of domains is pretty trivial
(so long as you don't get mixed up with Network Solutions) and you
won't pay nearly as much for it (again, unless you go to NetSol).)

> What about reverse lookup? What do I have to do to let a.b.c.d resolve
> to myhost.mydomain.tld instead of myhost.sub.uni.tld?

Each IP address can only have a single name that gets returned by a
reverse lookup.  (If there were more than one, how would it know
which one to choose?)  You'll need to talk to the owner of the class
C (or /24 in CIDR terms) block that the address is allocated from
(probably your ISP, but could be the uni or even you) and have them
update the reverse zone for that block.

> Since I seem to have a (fundamental?) lack of knowlwdge in DNS you can
> also feed me with recommended reading.

Read the DNS-HOWTO.  It contains everything you're ever likely to
need to know unless you someday find yourself adminning a truly large
site.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery