Re: Ext3fs and fsck

Anthony Campbell wrote:

> It's precisely the above warnings that make me rather nervous of using
> ext3 (though I have it on all my filesystems at the moment, mainly to
> cope with the frequent lockups I am experiencing, for unknown reasons).
> The available documentation on ext3 doesn't seem to make things very
> clear, at least to me.
>
> If I leave /etc/fstab as it is, will all the file systems continue to be
> checked as normal when I reboot?

No, the only thing you get is a warning from Ext3 that running e2fsck
manually
is recommended

> Or should I issue tune2fs commands
> (with appropriate time or mount switches) and change /etc/fstab in some
> way? If so, how?
>
> What is the purpose of the /forcefsck file that is suggested, and what
> commands is it supposed to contain?

No commands at all. Just "touch /forcefsck" will force an fsck on / ,
but not
on the other filesystems.

> My current /etc/fstab:
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> #
> /dev/hdb1       /            auto       defaults,errors=remount-ro      0        1
> /dev/hdb5       /usr         auto       defaults                        0        2
> /dev/hdb6       /var         auto       defaults                        0        2
> /dev/hdb7       /usr/local   auto       defaults                        0        2
> /dev/hdb8       /home        auto       defaults                        0        2
> /dev/hda1       /msdos       msdos      rw,noauto,user                  0        0
> /dev/hda3       /backup      auto       rw,noauto,user                  0        2
> /dev/hda5       none         swap       sw                              0        0
> #
> proc            /proc        proc       defaults                        0        0
> /dev/fd0        /floppy      auto       defaults,user,noauto            0        0
> /dev/cdrom      /cdrom       iso9660    defaults,ro,user,noauto         0        0
> #

I have ext3,ext2 in the type field, because updatedb won't care for
filesystems
mounted with type auto. If you use ext3,ext2 a kernel capable of ext3
will use
it, a rescue disk kernel will use ext2. (The reason I have not set it to
ext3
only...)

> Any illumination gratefully received.
>
> Anthony

Still waiting for it myself...

joerg

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.