Re: Ext3fs and fsck

In article <[🔎] 20011120160056.A6523@debian.local>,
Anthony Campbell  <a.campbell@doctors.org.uk> wrote:
>It's precisely the above warnings that make me rather nervous of using
>ext3 (though I have it on all my filesystems at the moment, mainly to
>cope with the frequent lockups I am experiencing, for unknown reasons).
>The available documentation on ext3 doesn't seem to make things very
>clear, at least to me.

As far as fsck and fstab are concerned, it's exactly the same as ext2.
If you don't understand that, you should be nervous of using ext2, too :]

>If I leave /etc/fstab as it is, will all the file systems continue to be
>checked as normal when I reboot? Or should I issue tune2fs commands
>(with appropriate time or mount switches) and change /etc/fstab in some
>way? If so, how?

Treat it exactly as ext2. That how it is designed.

>What is the purpose of the /forcefsck file that is suggested, and what
>commands is it supposed to contain?

Well in that respect the docs are a bit unclear. Yes, you can create
a /forcefsck manually, but for this functionality you really should
use the -F flag to shutdown instead (which just creates that file).

>From "man shutdown":

OPTIONS

       The -F flag means `force  fsck'.   This  only  creates  an
       advisory file /forcefsck which can be tested by the system
       when it comes up again.  The boot rc file can test if this
       file  is present, and decide to run fsck(1) with a special
       `force' flag so that even properly  unmounted  filesystems
       get  checked.   After that, the boot process should remove
       /forcefsck.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.