Re: Does Netscape cause lockups?

Anthony Campbell <a.campbell@doctors.org.uk> wrote:

> I'm still desperately seeking the cause of intermittent total lockups
> which occur every few days, always when I'm online. I think, but not
> sure, that Netscape  (4.77) has always been running at these times.
> Kernel 2.4.13ac at present.
>
> Has anyone seen this?
>
> Anthony

I use Netscape 477, and have moderately frequent lockups of Netscape
ONLY on the several machines I have around the house....about 1 per week
per machine.  Other programs usually still work, i.e. Terminal screens,
etc.  My kernel is the latest 2.2.19 "stock" Debian version.  I have
never experienced a total machine "hard" lockup.

I can usually recover by killing the Netscape process and removing the
lock file in ~.netscape directory.  Occasionally I will get several
Netscape processes running, and have to kill them all.

I have not found a reason for this behavior, nor any solution other than
the above.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-