Re: server advice

* Jim McCloskey (mcclosk@ling.ucsc.edu) spake thusly:
...>
> I've never had to buy a server before. I'd really appreciate some
> advice from you wise ones about what kind of hardware you would advise
> for a task like this, and where you would go to get it.

Web/mail server will be i/o bound, so you don't care that much
about CPU. I'd go for a Pentium & a decent (Asus, Tyan, Gigabyte)
mobo with Intel chipset -- I've seen quite a few complaints about
non-Intel chipsets and CPUs on kernel mailing list. Preferrably
one without AGP and on-board video/sound/anything.

You want to speed up i/o, so go for SCSI (check hardware-howto
and kernel docs, or maybe ask on c.o.l.hardware which card to
buy) discs and a lot of RAM (ECC, if they still make it).
Vortex (3c905) NICs work fine here.

A decent case with 400-450W PSU and fans in front of disc
bays. Oh, and a cheap video card.

As for where to get it, I dunno. We usually order hardware
through uni's computer shop, otherwise our purchasing dept.
would fsck up the order (you write "Do not change vendors"
all over the purchase order, and they go ahead and buy
something entirely different because it's .2 bucks cheaper
anyway).

Dima
--
Surely there is a polite way to say FOAD.                        -- Shmuel Metz
"Fornicate Off And Decease".                                 -- Rik Steenwinkel