booting is very difficult

i just re-built my debian system from the disk image, and i'm having the
same problem i had before i rebuilt it -- it hangs at "LI" when trying to
boot from the hard disk.  I can boot from the emergency floppy just fine
though.

Apparantly it's complaining that there is no active boot partition, but it
states quite clearly in the lilo.conf file that boot=/dev/hda1 (and yes, i
did re-run lilo just to be sure).

I also made sure that cfdisk had /dev/hda1 flagged as "boot".  the disk
doesn't appear to be bad because the other partitions are working fine.  i
noticed that /dev/hda1 wasn't being mounted in fstab, but obviously it would
need to be accessed earlier.  the cfdisk info is:

hda1 boot primary linux ext2 8.23mb

does it have anything to do with how lilo was installed on the system?  any
help appreciated!

thanks,

rory