Re: Via82cxxx locked at 48kHz

nate wrote:

> Nikolai Hlubek said:
>
> > I would be grateful for any suggestion,
> > and please no "use alsa instead" replies.
> > Nikolai
>
> get a better soundcard. seriously. i have 2 Asus CUV4Xs with
> the onboard VIA82CXXX chip. its a piece of crap. i tried it

That's a simple solution.  However, it is possible to make the via chip
work.  I use an Aopen AK33 mainboard with the VT82C686 chip onboard.

The funny thing is that a got it working with one kernel (compiled in,
not module).  Sometime later (probably after a kernel upgrade, I don't
remember) it stoped working, sortof.  I got the same (or very similar)
behavior as you, the codec looks to 48kHz.  I _was_ able to play sound
though, using xmms.  mpg123 did not work.  Unfortunately, when xmms was
playing it stoped responding to interaction almose entirely, thus I was
not able to adjust the volume in a usefull manner.

Anyway, I currently run 2.4.12-ac6 with the via sound as a module.  So
far it's been working fine with this kernel, although I belive it should
be broken in som other manners.

The modules I use are listed bellow.

Good luck,
	Emil

---modules----
via82cxxx_audio        17888   1
uart401                 6128   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
ac97_codec              9520   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
sound                  54400   0 [via82cxxx_audio uart401]
soundcore               3600   5 (autoclean) [via82cxxx_audio sound]