Re: Progeny -> woody?

On Mon Nov 12 01:35:04 2001 Harold Bibik wrote...

>On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 10:40:15AM -0500, Jesse Goerz (jgoerz@bellsouth.net) said something like:
>

>> > Can anyone thta has atempted this give me some feedback?
>> > Sucess, _and_ failure stories apprecited. Also some cometary
>> > on what nice features might have disapeared in this "upgrade".
>>
>> The only things I've noticed so far is the desktop icons refuse
>> to be anything but folders, and the font which describes them
>> also refuses to display unless you select the folder.
>
>I had no major problems with the dist-upgrade from Progeny to woody.
>
>Like Jesse mentioned, my desktop did show only folder icons so I
>deleted (renamed actually, then deleted a few days later when I was
>sure everything was ok) the .gnome and .gnome-desktop directories
>in my home dir, logged out, then logged backed in  and Gnome rebuilt
>the desktop with the correct icons.(found this fix by searching the
>list archives) I did have to add the few additional icons I had before
>but that was easy.

Thanks for another data point.

So far, I have recieved only replies. I would think that more thna 2 people
had doen this.
Any more experiences to share on this?

>> woody's version of gdm isn't as "pretty" and it removes the
>> System menu so you can't reboot from the login screen.  You will
>> have to use the config utility for gdm to fix that (can't
>> remember the name of it).
>
>that didn't happen to me....ummmm. yeah the default  may not look as
>nice but in a few minutes I had changed the background, font, and image
>file so it actually looks better than the old Progeny one.

How did you do this?

Got an example config to share?

>> Other than that, the only things I've noticed have all been
>> talked about on the lists which makes me assume they are woody
>> issues, not progeny->woody upgrade issues.
>>

>For me the process was very smooth...I just had to rerun dist-upgrade
>a few times until everything was installed...it has been a very nice
>upgrade
>
>My only tip would be to make sure you know which modules your kernel
>is using and don't try using modconf at 3 AM after a long day :)

What's the difference here. Does Progeny somehow "automagicly" know what
modules to use, and Woody doesn't? Is this feature coming to the base
Debian system? If so, when?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.