Re: DNS/BIND questions

martin f krafft said:
> * nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> [2001.11.11 18:26:47-0800]:
>> unless you want 50% dns failures you will need a backup on
>> another ip address.
>
> what??? the secondary is only contacted if the first one fails...
> that's not 50%. or am i stupid?

i don't know. i can only say this from my own experience.

i used to run an isp(still do sorta but its trying to get rid
of its last customers). we had our own t1 at one point and
a couple linux servers. each server was a DNS.

we moved everything into 1 box. and put it on someone else's
t1. i had bind running on 2 ip addresses on the box. all of the
domains had each ip registered correctly for primary/secondary
name resolution.

CONSTANTLY i got reports of dns failures. people couldnt send
inbound mail(some not all) others couldn't reach websites we
hosted etc. this went on for about 2 months. eventually i decided
there is a problem with the configuration and searched on the
net and found someone that said that the DNS has to be on
2 seperate systems. once i reconfigured bind to run 2 copies
one on each ip(and transferred zones locally as well) the problems
went away. i never personally had any problems with our DNS
with the broken configuration but i also had my own DNS at
home so maybe that was part of why i didn't have problems i never
had network connectivity problems to the remote server.

so take it for what its worth. i personally don't understand
why that is the case. maybe you can configure the domain for
only 1 nameserver(maybe the NICs dont allow this im not sure)
in which case 1 nameserver may work ..

nate