Re: Frustration (cablemodem woes)

Thus spake Michael Patterson:
> > > Now I find that the company is going under. enter the cablemodem. I have
> > > cablemodem service with Adelphia cable. ( @home). it works
> > beautifully when
> > > I hook up a single windows machine to it, using DHCP.
> >
> > You either need to get your DHCP client to pass a hostname on to the
> > DHCP server (that c*-? number they give you), or you need to call them
> > up and ask for your IP settings (or check winipcfg in Windows).
>
> I do this in /etc/networks/interfaces with:
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> 	hostname "****"
> 	leasehours 1
> 	leasetime 3600
>
> where **** is the name given to me by the @home company.
>
> ifconfig shows the correct ip address, etc. Everything works (although
> slowly) for a brief period, then stops-- so it appears DHCP works.
>

> > @Home technical support will probably give you a brief disclaimer along
> > the lines of "The most support you'll get with this OS is your static
> > settings, and we reserve the right to change your IP without notice."
> > The nice thing is this IP nearly never changes.  The only reason I've
> > changed IPs is because I've moved.  Everything changes with the peon
> > that answers the phone at your local cable company though...the trick is
> > to get escallated.
> >
> > Or you can get it from Windows in winipcfg.
>
> Making the change to static IP addresses shows the same behavior.
>
> --Mike
What distro is this?  I remember dhcp-client from potato didn't work so
well for me, but the one from Woody has been great - same provider, so
we're all in the same boat with the (maybe) impending bankruptcy.  I
would look in other places if the static setup is also failing - it
sounds like you might have bad NIC module or something, if you're
properly negotiating a connection, but getting a really slow one that
fails after a little while.  Maybe post details of what NIC and what
driver?
HTH,
Steve

--