RE: Frustration (cablemodem woes)

> > Now I find that the company is going under. enter the cablemodem. I have
> > cablemodem service with Adelphia cable. ( @home). it works
> beautifully when
> > I hook up a single windows machine to it, using DHCP.
>
> You either need to get your DHCP client to pass a hostname on to the
> DHCP server (that c*-? number they give you), or you need to call them
> up and ask for your IP settings (or check winipcfg in Windows).

I do this in /etc/networks/interfaces with:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
	hostname "****"
	leasehours 1
	leasetime 3600

where **** is the name given to me by the @home company.

ifconfig shows the correct ip address, etc. Everything works (although
slowly) for a brief period, then stops-- so it appears DHCP works.

> @Home technical support will probably give you a brief disclaimer along
> the lines of "The most support you'll get with this OS is your static
> settings, and we reserve the right to change your IP without notice."
> The nice thing is this IP nearly never changes.  The only reason I've
> changed IPs is because I've moved.  Everything changes with the peon
> that answers the phone at your local cable company though...the trick is
> to get escallated.
>
> Or you can get it from Windows in winipcfg.

Making the change to static IP addresses shows the same behavior.

--Mike