RE: Frustration (cablemodem woes)

> Michael Heldebrant, 2001-Nov-11 11:06 -0600:
> > On Sun, 2001-11-11 at 00:26, Michael Patterson wrote:
> > > Ok, I'm totally frustrated. To bring anyone who doesn't know
> up to date:
> > >
> > > My previous service was "wantweb". I was given a static IP
> address, upon
> > > which I set up a debian (potato) box. I used IP masquerading
> to connect all
> > > my windows boxes to it (for game playing, you know).
> > >
> > > Now I find that the company is going under. enter the
> cablemodem. I have
> > > cablemodem service with Adelphia cable. ( @home). it works
> beautifully when
> > > I hook up a single windows machine to it, using DHCP.
>
> I have the same cable service, but I've statically set my IP
> interface.  I've had not trouble with this for over a year since
> the service doesn't rotate or change assigned IP addresses.

I have tried static IP addresses, and I get the same behavior. (in fact, my
current attempt is using static addresses)

> > > When I hook up my linux box to it, I get terrible performance, and
> > > eventually my connection to the cablemodem fails. I can get
> the connection
> > > back by powercycling the cablemodem. I'm using dhcp-client.
>
> I've had no performance issues.

Unfortunately, I'm having significant performance issues, and I don't have
the knowledge to know how to start debugging this. Web searches haven't
turned up anything, and I've made a couple pleas on the topic here with no
luck.

> > Do you have a firewall in place?  I found out about two issues in my
> > struggles.
> >
> > I found that without /proc/sys/net/ipv4/dynaddr set to 1 my second and
> > future dhcp requests would try and go out the eth1 static internal card
> > which was being blocked from sent by my firewall (source<=>adaptor
> > anti-spoofing rules etc).
> >
> > I also found that my cable modem keeps sending me IGMP multicast packets
> > that if I blocked the service would get flaky, at least as far as I
> > recall.  Albiet that this was with pump that had it's own set of
> > problems but I have charter @home working "almost perfectly" with
> > dhcp-client.  My current setup still requires rebooting the modem (and
> > perhaps not the pc next time, have to try that) on occassion but
> > otherwise works very well.
>
> I block 3 different type of packets consistantly sent to me
> without any adverse effects (so far).  Two multicast packets and
> one that I think is coming from my cablemodem itself (?).

I'm not sure what /proc/sys/net/ipv4/dynaddr is, or what effect setting it
to 1 has.

What do you block, and why?

--Mike