Re: ext3 to be in 2.4.15!

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 03:16:54PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> >No, you just have to use tune2fs to add a journal file to each
> >partition, and change your fstab. ext3 is forward and backward
> >compatible with ext2. Oh -- you will need a recent version of e2fsprogs
> >
> >J.
>
> So, unlike what I read in ReiserFS, I can just hang out on this for a
> while and then upgrade at my leisure?  This is so totally cool!!!!
> Is there an performance difference between this "conversion" and
> starting from scratch?

I have converted all my partitions to ext3 quite quickly -- the
filesystem format is the same, and tune2fs will jsut add a file to it
(it will be called ".journal") - then, change fstab, install new kernel
with ext3 support, and reboot.
See, there's no difference between "converting" and "starting from
scratch'. Starting from scratch would mean create a ext2 filesystem and
add the journal file to it, etc... (And this is absolutely great!)

Read some documentation on ext3:

http://people.spoiled.org/jha/ext3-faq.html

J.