Re: Squid in a school - problems with https

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 08:43:05PM +0000, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> Normally when a url is unavailable I get a Squid error message. When I try
> and access an secure site, I get an IE5 message complaining that there is
> a DNS error and the address cannot be found. I am at home at the moment,
> but will be at school tomorrow when I can dig out the exact error message.

According to the FAQ:
	1.12 Does Squid support SSL/HTTPS/TLS?
	Squid supports these encrypted protocols by ``tunelling'' traffic
	between clients and servers. Squid can relay the encrypted bits
	between a client and a server.
	The proxy doesn't understand or interpret the contents. It just
   	passes bytes back and forth between the client and server.

Assuming you are using either transparent proxying or explicitly set the
browsers to proxy http/https requests, when something is wrong with the
SSL connection, you get a blank page but not some kind of "unavailable"
message. A DNS error indicates problem other than the proxy itself. Try
resolve the problematic address and see if you can access it in the
first place.

Once I had a problem with SSL connection which turn out that I blocked
some cookies from the site.  If you are not using things like
Junkbuster, check the browser cookie management, too.

Good Luck.