Re: Where to report kernel Oops in debian-stable?

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 02:32:33PM +0100, Clemens Dumat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> where should i report a kernel oops in debian stable?
>
> The kernel is compiled by me from the sources in kernel-source-2.2.19-2,
> because there is no precompiled kernel in -stable which supports SMP.
>
> So: should i report it to a generic kernel bug list (and which one would
> apply), or should i post it to the debian bug list?

I'd report it to linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org. Kernel oopses sent to the
Debian bug tracking system will probably be forwarded upstream, but, in
the case of the kernel, unless you have reason to believe that it's a
Debian-specific situation you're better off bypassing the middle-man.
(For other packages the Debian BTS is a better place to report bugs than
directly upstream.)

> Another question: Is there anything, besides the output of ksymoops, the
> symbols map file, the kernel config file, the hardware used on, the kernel
> version and the situation, in which the oops happened, which should be
> included in the bug report?

Have a look at sections 4.2 and 4.3 of the linux-kernel FAQ
(http://www.tux.org/lkml/).

Cheers,