Re: Cable Modem Setup?? (Newbie...)

Thus spake Raphael Bustin:
> Adelphia uses DHCP, and AFAIK there are no fixed
> IP addresses anywhere, other than the reserved
> address used by the Linksys router: 192.168.1.1
That's a private network address, not the 'real' one, but it might be
enough.
> How would I set up /etc/network/interfaces for
> this scenario?
I have a similar setup, although with a different provider, but here's
mine:
 iface lo inet loopback
 iface eth0 inet dhcp

Works fine.  Also need to specify DNS servers, unless you want to run
them on your box.  You can get these addresses from you ISP, usually.
Install dhcp-client to handle the negotiation for an address, and edit
/etc/dhclient.conf to send your hostname and so forth.
> The Ethernet card is a D-Link 530TX.  I don't
> see any eth0 device.  I can't tell if the kernel
> (2.218pre21) supports this card by default.
>
> I know that the card in question requires
> driver rtl8139.o, which does exist on my machine.
> When I do 'insmod' for this object file, I get
> "Device or resource busy," possibly due to IO
> and/or IRQ conflicts.

look at dmesg - dmesg |less will pipe it through a pager so it's
actually readable.  See if your card is detected on bootup.  If it is,
that means support is compiled into the kernel, and you can move on.  If
it's not, then you'll have to specify IRQ settings and such when yo load
the module.  Write back if that's the case.

> Whew.  So, where do I go to fix that?
>
> Many thanks in advance.  Trying hard to catch up
> here...
>

> rafe b.
Good luck,
Steve